Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mums' Musings - The Single Mum 18.11.08

I feel like a single Mum. The 'Man' has been away for weeks and Cahaya, a victim of the tech age, thinks Daddy lives in the phone ( via video call ) or the PC ( via Skype ). . She's growing up too, and has started 'pretend play' . . this however involves a lot of pretending to 'call' Daddy.. She will ask me for my 'fon' and 'call' Daddy... "Hi Daddy, where are you? Bye Daddy".

It breaks my heart, but what's a girl to do? At times like this, when anyone asks me, "When's No.2 coming along?" - I can honestly say I do not want another one! Doing it alone is no fun. Its' hard enough doing it alone with one - Gosh, what more with 2 or more??

But you have a maid my friends say.. well, its not the same. My maid is great and I love her but its not the same, she'll never be my pal, my mate, the Daddy. Someone whom I can pour my woes out to...And if No.2 comes in the picture, what happens to No.1 ? - Delegated to the maid of course, what else.. and that's not fair. There is no regular 2nd parent around, this is what friends don't understand. No Daddy to read bedtime stories every night etc.. Mummy does it all..

Yes, all No.1's may be better off not being an only child but in this situation, it may actually do more harm than not.

You know what - I'm just going to work towards being the No.1 Mum to my No.1 child and we'll just have to work out this 'ONLY CHILD SYNDROME' for ourselves... it can't be that bad??? There MUST be some normal, well-rounded Non-spoiled only children out there??!!

2 comments:

Norin AJ Lumungking said...

I understand your situation, though i am not married yet, but i can feel it for you. i am very proud of you, you are a strong woman, mother. i am in LDR so i know how it feels, what more being "like" a single mum.

You will never walk alone-God is with you, with CRT and with the daddy too!

Haslina said...

Hi Karen,
It's not that bad really and I think you are doing great! I am a mom AND dad to a 13 year old Aida, and she turned out to be a fine, smart and well behaved young lady .. keep on doing what you are doing... Keep on saying NO to what ought to be a NO, YES if you think it should be a yes, then she will turn out fine. It's all in the upbringing and what you instill in her from young... continue giving love and making sure that she knows it...communication is key...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Month By Month - Watch Me Change